7.27.2008

on my first time healing karazhan

A couple of weeks ago, I was waxing emo to my boyfriend about how I would never find a guild who actually still ran Karazhan, and how my priest would never be geared unless I PvPed for it, and how I didn't want to PvP on her yet until I saw some raiding...I was going on and on in this vein, until I got a random whisper from a rogue. He asked me if I was interested in running Karazhan, and also would I be interested in joining his guild?

After silently blessing him for his perfect timing, I gave him an emphatic yes and became a member of Unholy Fury. My first impression of the guild was overwhelmingly positive; when I joined it was all of two hours old, and had around thirteen members (all of whom were friendly and enthusiastic). The GM had planned for a guild Karazhan run the following Wednesday, which I almost immediately signed up for.

The day of Karazhan, I stocked up on the following consumables which are a must for any healer (with druid and paladin buffs, they bumped my healing up from+1200-ish to around +1300-ish):
As for the run itself, I was pleasantly surprised by how smoothly it went. We cleared all the way up to the trash right before Shade of Aran before people had to leave with no boss wipes. The encounters were not difficult to heal through (especially not with a decently geared tree druid and holy paladin). I cannot stress how much Prayer of Mending rocks - I just threw it on the tank whenever the cooldown was up and watched it bounce around between melee. I also got to practice the fine art of Greater Heal cast-canceling, which makes for amazing mana regen (I think I only had to use a mana pot once the whole raid).

The only part I had trouble with was dying in the beginning of the Opera Event (after Psychic Scream wore off on Roar, he ran straight for me and promptly pwned my face), and dispelling Holy Fire during the Maiden fight (it seemed like I was the only one dispelling, and so I had to run around to try and get in range of everyone. Lost a couple of DPS that way. /sadface). The rest of the raid was also pretty understanding about my occasional disconnects (speaking of which, I have an insolent router to kick into submission).

By the end of the run, I walked away with two new shiny purples:
Conclusion: Illythia's first foray into Karazhan was a success, and the new guild seems to be getting off to a great start!

Next update: Macros that help me be a more efficient priest!